10 Reasons Why Landscape Designers Are So Expensive
So what’s the big deal? Why can’t landscape designers provide a simple design without charging an arm and a leg? How hard can it possibly be? Here are some reasons why:
- A landscape designer might go through five different designs before landing on the one that the actual client sees at the end of the day.
- A landscape designer might go through five more designs before landing on the revised design the actual client sees after addressing said client’s comments and concerns.
- A landscape designer must think about how each designed element will behave on a site-by-site basis.
- A landscape designer must think about how every element designed relates to all other elements designed.
- Although the client usually only sees a 2-dimensional plan, a landscape designer has also designed the entire vertical dimension in their mind as well.
- Conducting an accurate site survey can take a surprising amount of time.
- A landscape designer will often make sure the materials proposed for a design can be found locally.
- Landscape designers pay meticulous attention to plant selection and environmental concerns.
- Designing to scale requires a level of accuracy above and beyond creating “a pretty picture”.
- Landscape designers must always account for a communication learning curve with each new client.
Venessa Lines, Blog Contributor
Cooperative Design Resource, LLC.